|Home | About | Trail Reviews | Trail Survey & Cartography | Resources & Gear | Contact|
|Trail Reviews > Caprock Canyons State Park||
Photography from Trail
Caprock Canyons State Park Website
P O Box 204
Quitaque TX 79255
This park is beautiful no matter what trail you take or if you are just driving through. For biking note that there are lots and lots of thorns so bring your slime. During one bike ride we stopped at one of the overlook info areas and couldn't stay due to some very aggressive bees.
Most trails are very sandy and in some cases difficult to bike, save the trailway.
easy/beginner - extremly steep and difficult (depending on trail).
Click here for fees
TPWD Maps (In pdf format)
Map Of Park
Map Of Trailway
Hike in 1.25 miles, uphill, to reach the "South Prong Primitive" campsite where you will find a chemical toilet and wonderful views. Continue past this campsite and take on a 3100 ft climb with extremely steep and rugged trails that boarders on a bit of rock climbing. Stunning views.
Hike in 1 mile to the North Prong Primitive campsite.
We got stuck in a freak sand storm at the non-prim campsite ironically named, "little red tent" campsite. The super fine red sand particles got over all our gear, covering everything even on the inside of our tend in a fine red powder. It was too windy and cold to even try to shake out our gear during the storm. So we drove out of the park and stayed in a hotel for one night. So be sure to keep an eye on the weather and don't camp in the "little red tent" area if it's real windy.
Directions from The Colony TX
5. Slight right onto TX-121 BUS N 4.9 mi
6. Turn right onto S Stemmons Fwy 0.2 mi
7. Take the ramp on the left onto I-35E N 17.5 mi
8. Continue onto I-35 N 0.5 mi
9. Take exit 469 toward US-380/Texas Women's University 472 ft
10. Merge onto I-35 Frontage Rd 384 ft
11. Slight left to stay on I-35 Frontage Rd 495 ft
12. Turn left onto US-380 W/W University Dr 24.9 mi
13. Merge onto US-287 N/US-81 N via the ramp to Wichita Falls 24.9 mi
14. Continue onto US-287 N 41.7 mi
15. Continue onto US-82 W 4.3 mi
16. Slight right to stay on US-82 W 0.5 mi
17. Continue onto US-287 N 2.1 mi
18. Continue onto I-44 E 2.5 mi
19. Take exit 3A on the left toward US-287 N/Vernon/Amarillo 0.6 mi
20. Merge onto US-287 N 120 mi
21. Turn left onto TX-86 W/Harper St
Continue to follow TX-86 W
The park is 3.5 miles north of State Highway 86 in Quitaque on FM 1065.
Quitaque TX 79255
5 hours 7 minutes - 288 miles total
More Trail Photography
Trail Photography & Reviews |
Mapping: Custom Trail Survey & Cartography Services |
Resources / Gear Reviews
Home | About | Contact | Geeks vs. Wild | Legal Statements
Hiking and biking trial information. Copyright © HikingBikingTrails.com All rights reserved.
Photography and Custom Website Design by MartinasWeb.com